Roo Kids Announces Release of New Version
Roo Kids, a safe & fun instant messaging app for kids with minimum yet critical parental controls, announces the release of a new version with slew of new functionality and User Experience improvement
Bangalore, 19th November, 2014 – Roo Kids, a safe & fun instant messaging app for kids with minimum yet critical parental controls, announced released of new version with slew of new functionality and User Experience improvement. The new version allows a new user to get started faster, chat with various chatbots while waiting for friends join, download themes & stickers and has multiple user experience improvements.
“Roo Kids aims to be for kids what Whatsapp, Kik and Facebook Messenger are for grown up. Parents want kids to explore, learn and master the digital world. But, parents have few important concerns: 1/ Strangers chatting with their kids online, and 2/ Kids getting distracted during homework or sleep time,” said Dinker Charak, Founder & CEO of Gungroo Software Pvt Ltd, the maker of Roo Kids.
“We addressed these concerns heads on and introduced few key features. Parents get to review their kid’s Contact list and disapprove anyone. Thus no stranger or unwanted person can sneak in. Kids can block any user or message, with immediate effect. Parents can set curfew time slots, during which the live chat will not work,” Dinker elaborated.
“We started with a web version when Gungroo was founded in 2012. We soon realized that instead of the PC, it is the tablet the device a family shares. Our first version was for iPad and the app continues to be highly optimized for iPad. In this new release we added support for iPhone too,” Dinker continued, talking about the evolution of Gungroo and pivot to Roo Kids.
The app userbase is growing steadily. Users in USA, Australia, UK and UAE are among the top downloaders of the app. The app broadly complies with the US FTC’s Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). They are currently seeking funds to help it undergo full COPPA certification. Learn more here: http://www.rookidsapp.com/coppa/
Highlights of the New Features
- Roo Kids transfers all Instant Messages Over SSL. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) allows secure transmission of credit card numbers, social security numbers, login credentials, etc. securely. No one can eavesdrop and read the content of the messages.
- Roo Kids does not run any banner or video ads on the app. Parents don’t have to worry about inappropriate or irritating ads showing up or the kid accidentally clicking to some web link.
- Roo Kids provides Parental Controls for the app. Using Parental Controls parents can set various safety options, control in-app purchases and monitor who is on the kid’s Contact List. Access to Parental Controls is password protected.
- Parents own the Contact List. They can inspect and eject any unwanted person from the kid’s contacts. This way kids have freedom and privacy of conversation, but with known and trusted people only.
- Roo Kids provides Curfew Hours to control usage. Parents can setup curfew hours during which live messaging will not work. Homework time? Sleep time? Roo Kids won’t come in the way.
- Roo Kids does not request Camera Access. Roo Kids does not directly access camera. Parents can restrict access to iPad’s camera and there is no risk of accidental photo sharing.
- Roo Kids has a very Attractive User Interface. The artwork and User Interface has been designed to appeal to kids. The more the kids love this app, the less they will seek less secure alternatives.
- Roo Kids comes with a 24×7 Support. The Roo Kids team is available 24×7 to respond to user query and will respond to critical requests within 24 hours.
- Roo Kids allows for easy Reporting of Abuse. Roo Kids does not tolerate abuse or bullying. Kids can report a message or a user as abusive. This will have immediate effects and parents are notified via email.
Availability and Pricing
Roo Kids can be downloaded from iTunes for free. Both iPad and iPhone versions are available. The app, however, is optimized for iPad. It offers in-app purchase of themes and stickers. For more information please visit www.rookidsapp.com.
Roo Kids is the flagship product of Gungroo Software. Gungroo Software was founded by Dinker Charak in 2012 with aim of creating digital, non-gaming products for kids. He was previously responsible for setting up an Ad Network and managing their India operations for Jivox. Before that he worked at Wind River (acquired by Intel), Fermilab near Chicago (a US DoE Particle Physics Research Lab) and worked on development of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Geneva.
Gungroo Software builds safe ‘fun + learn’ products for kids.
Gungroo Software has developed fun and safe app for kids like My Sketch Roo, a sketching app for iPad & iPhone and Roo Kids, a safe & fun instant messaging app for kids with minimum yet critical parental controls.
Gungroo is a privately held, angel-funded company, headquartered in Bangalore, India. For more information please visit www.gungroo.com/about.
Founder, CEO – Gungroo Software Pvt Ltd