While Halloween is an exciting time for kids, for parents it is usually very hectic and stressful. Along with organizing costumes, parents also have to worry about their kid’s safety while they go out and enjoy themselves.
Here are some tips for parents so that they can make sure their kids have a safe Halloween:
- Kids should visit only well-lit homes. Homes that are well-lit on Halloween night usually welcome trick-or-treaters. If the porch lights are off, or if kids feel uncomfortable, they should simply move on to a different home.
- NEVER ACCEPT RIDES FROM STRANGERS. NEVER.
- Kids should never split up from their group.
- Ingredients like peanuts and milk can be disastrous for kids with allergies. Make sure allergic kids are careful to ask about these ingredients before accepting treats.
- Make sure kids have emergency contact information on them. You can either write down the info on a card and stick it in their bag or write the info on your kid’s wrist using a marker. Since markers can wash off, the card would be better.
- If you’re allowing your kid to trick-or-treat alone, make sure you map out their route. Outline the neighborhoods they’ll start with, where they’ll go and which neighborhoods to avoid.
- Make sure your kids follow road safety rules and are extra careful on Halloween night, when kids are four times more likely to be run over by a car. Try to incorporate some reflective tape into their costume or just stick some on it or on your kid’s bag anyway. Kids should be smart and careful while crossing roads.
- When choosing or making your kid’s costume, make sure it’s not too long (to prevent your kid tripping over it) and, if there’s a mask, that your kid can see out of it and breathe in it.
- Have some way you can contact your kid, preferably a mobile phone. To avoid looking like a helicopter parent, you can chat with them for updates using, ahem, a certain chat app for kids whose website you’re currently on.
- Check the candy collected by your kids for sharp objects or signs of tampering before letting them eat it.
Roo Kids Chat App is a kid-friendly instant messenger with minimum but critical parental controls.
Follow us on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.
Photo by Sean McGrath licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC 2.0)
Failing. Not failed!
We are failing everyday and that is how a startup is different. It is a daily struggle to not be part of the ‘90% who failed’.
I started in 2012 and it has been quite a journey till Roo Kids Chat App. Always a right time to look back and revisit the lessons learnt. For the journey is not over yet.
Get Set, Go – The First Few Months in 2012
Gungroo was build with the vision of a safe & secure messaging for kids. That is how we started and that is what we are today. But somewhere along the way …
Private Family Network
The product started as a private network for families where an admin could allow kids logins to be created (without an email) and family members joining using their email address.
Priya Sengupta is a professional writer & a travel enthusiast who loves exploring new places and pen down the experience. She reviews kids apps and has strong opinions about what a kids app should be like. She wrote up about Roo Kids.
Roo Kids has been marketed as a safe and fun IM (instant messaging app) for kids. What WhatsApp is for adults, Roo Kids is for kids. The app comes with some safety features that allow parents to have control over the interaction. The app is targeted towards kids between the ages of 6 and 12 years. As more parents are looking to provide their kids with a digital exposure from the beginning years, app like Roo Kids is gaining ground.
Kids are meant to chat, share pictures (already on the phone) and send doodles to friends. The app does not facilitate direct camera access but kids can always click a picture from the device’s own gallery and use the picture in the Roo Kids chat box. Other parental controls include setting curfew hours when the life chat is disabled (when it’s time for study or sleep), notification when a contact/group is added and bad word filter (replacing bad words with ****). The messaging/chatting is carried over an SSL server, meaning that there would be no third party intrusion.
Other reviews like on Common Sense Media rates Roo Kids attaches a 4/5 rating to the app.
What can go wrong?
Digital technology has been growing and thus no surprise that kids aren’t quite immune to it. Too much of anything is bad. The only question with Roo Kid is whether it’s just another way to integrate technology into our lifestyle or whether Roo Kids really does some good for kids. True that the app does provide an educational platform with puzzles, games drawing tools and other features. However, it also goes wrong in several facets. The banned word feature for instance is only active only if the concerned work is followed by an exclamation/punctuation. Secondly, parents can set the curfew hours but it doesn’t stop a kid from writing messages, drawing or use the app otherwise. Just the life chat feature is turned off.
Some work is still needed. But, this is an awesome start!
Mumafit is an excellent app for moms who are trying hard to stay fit inspite of the metabolic changes in the maternity years. With tips and tricks for the best fitness regimes, there is something that every mom would find to be able to pursue. Further, the app provides all fitness related pictures and videos that seem to streamline the process. The new determination to get fit is rightly achieved with Mumafit in your pockets!
For those concerned with regular fitness regimes and the importance of a healthy lifestyle, Mumafit seems to be a highly portable guidebook. The app provides a variety of tips, tricks, techniques, lessons and motivational stories to get you going with your regular fitness regime.
Mumafit explains the benefits of a healthy living and regular exercises. Reading it can be quite of an inspiration if not interesting and fun.
All the content has been rightly integrated into the categories presented in Mumafit. One should give enough credit to the designer of the app. Be it tips, tricks or techniques upon fitness, everything is right there at the touch of a button.
Overall, Mumafit is an essential app for everyone concerned with their fitness.
Kids’ tantrums are probably one of the worst things about bringing up a child. Most parents find them at loss while thinking about ways to tame their kids’ tantrums. Here is a easy guides to some of the steps you may try to follow.
1. Ignore the child. It helps a lot of time. There is little one can do at times because reasoning with a child does not help.
2. Try to find out what is bothering the child. May be something actually is not fine which is resulting in the mood swings. Try to know your child some more.
3. Try to calm your child without being too hard.
4. Hug the child. Hugging helps a lot in comforting the child.
5. Give the child some space. They need to vent out their anger sometimes.
6. Give the child something else to engage in. This helps a lot.
7. See if your child is hungry. Give him/her some food.
8. Speak in a calm way. Shouting on a child often does not help.
9. Try giving some incentive to stop the tantrum. But never make this a habit.
10. Don’t give too much importance to the issue. Try making the situation easy by laughing it off.
For those interested in learning Spanish language, High School Spanish could be referred to as a well made app in this category. With option of dictionary and self learning, it really does promote the language to new learners and foreigners.
The app size is large (21.7 MB) and may take some time to download.
High School Spanish is a unique app in its category and involves phrasebooks, writing tips, dictionaries, flashcards, and other tools that make learning Spanish easier. This app provides the important tricks to prepare the user with general Spanish classes, IB Spanish, AP Spanish or higher Spanish lessons. With 5 sections for practice, you as a learner are definitely going to improve upon your grades.
High School Spanish is for serious learners and it is quite interesting to have your Spanish translations. The thesaurus and bilingual dictionary supports curiosity and keeps the vocabulary at your fingertips.
High School Spanish comes with easy tools to search Spanish translations and words that might be of interest. Easy interface also allows for learning on the go and you can spend you lazy weekends and boring journeys in something useful and productive.
Overall, High School Spanish is the app for every interested student of Spanish. Even I you are through with the language, this may act as a dictionary for better communication.
High School Spanish – 5 Essential Tools to Study Spanish & Learn Vocabulary! By Common Ground International
Overall Rating: 3.0
Review by: Wairok Makunga on 29 December, 2013
Reviewed Version: 1.9
We review iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod), Facebook, Google Play (Android) apps with Learn + Fun theme for toddlers, preteens, tween and teens (1-15). You can see list of all app we have reviewed here. You can submit your app for review here.
Have you ever wondered that why many people say that handling kids is not an easy task. Well, it is due to their tantrums, which can be characterized by their angry ranting, in some cases, hitting, defiance, screaming, crying and stubbornness.
But these are a part of child’s growth which must not be seen as a negative aspect of their personality. Children, often try to master the world and when they do not succeed at certain things, their frustration comes out as tantrums.
You can handles these by following few points given below:
1. Never reward your child for tantrum.
2. Try to divert their attention from the thing for which they are showing tantrums.
3. Never yell at your child for these things, as it will prolong their outburst.
The outdoor games are the most recommendable one, when compared to the video games. Before the emergence of video games, most of the kids loved playing the outdoor games. These games will improve their health, support better growth and increase in concentration and memory power.
Some of the recommendable games to play outdoors for your kids are:
1. Four square
3. Red Rover
There are also many other interesting games to play outdoor such as jump the rope, spud, horse, simon says, marco polo, freeze dance and more.
It is a cumbersome task for any parents to make their kids eat well. However tasty food you prepare and give them, they struggle to eat and try to escape from the breakfast or dinner unless they are hungry.
Here are a few tips for you to make your kids eat well:
1. Try to cook something new and tempting
2. Try to give them sweet dishes dipped in sugar and chocolates
3. Introduce some new cuisines that would tempt them
4. Plan the dinner, such that they will come forward to eat
5. Try to give them some natural supplements that tempt their hunger and make them eat