YouTube is one of the most popular websites in the world. It has content on nearly every conceivable topic / thing in the world, be it sports, fitness, entertainment, politics or just random videos of people’s pets being cute.
While there’s a huge amount of content on YouTube that’s suitable for adults only, there’s also a lot of content that is suitable for kids. Last year, YouTube launched ‘YouTube for Kids’, an app that’s got YouTube videos that are suitable only for kids.
Failing. Not failed!
We are failing everyday and that is how a startup is different. It is a daily struggle to not be part of the ‘90% who failed’.
I started in 2012 and it has been quite a journey till Roo Kids Chat App. Always a right time to look back and revisit the lessons learnt. For the journey is not over yet.
Get Set, Go – The First Few Months in 2012
Gungroo was build with the vision of a safe & secure messaging for kids. That is how we started and that is what we are today. But somewhere along the way …
Private Family Network
The product started as a private network for families where an admin could allow kids logins to be created (without an email) and family members joining using their email address.
Priya Sengupta is a professional writer & a travel enthusiast who loves exploring new places and pen down the experience. She reviews kids apps and has strong opinions about what a kids app should be like. She wrote up about Roo Kids.
Roo Kids has been marketed as a safe and fun IM (instant messaging app) for kids. What WhatsApp is for adults, Roo Kids is for kids. The app comes with some safety features that allow parents to have control over the interaction. The app is targeted towards kids between the ages of 6 and 12 years. As more parents are looking to provide their kids with a digital exposure from the beginning years, app like Roo Kids is gaining ground.
Kids are meant to chat, share pictures (already on the phone) and send doodles to friends. The app does not facilitate direct camera access but kids can always click a picture from the device’s own gallery and use the picture in the Roo Kids chat box. Other parental controls include setting curfew hours when the life chat is disabled (when it’s time for study or sleep), notification when a contact/group is added and bad word filter (replacing bad words with ****). The messaging/chatting is carried over an SSL server, meaning that there would be no third party intrusion.
Other reviews like on Common Sense Media rates Roo Kids attaches a 4/5 rating to the app.
What can go wrong?
Digital technology has been growing and thus no surprise that kids aren’t quite immune to it. Too much of anything is bad. The only question with Roo Kid is whether it’s just another way to integrate technology into our lifestyle or whether Roo Kids really does some good for kids. True that the app does provide an educational platform with puzzles, games drawing tools and other features. However, it also goes wrong in several facets. The banned word feature for instance is only active only if the concerned work is followed by an exclamation/punctuation. Secondly, parents can set the curfew hours but it doesn’t stop a kid from writing messages, drawing or use the app otherwise. Just the life chat feature is turned off.
Some work is still needed. But, this is an awesome start!
Education Magazines play an important role in India and it is one of the best source of latest information, knowledge and technology for everyone especially students and teachers. The main aim is to educate the public examination aspirants and students which also help to increase their ability skills, exam tips, GK, current affairs and many more.
Here is the top 10 largest circulated educational magazines in India:
WhatsApp for Kids? Yes, there is one for that.
Roo Kids is made by Gungroo Software. You can download here https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/roo-kids/id853763668?mt=8.
Parents want kids to explore, learn and master the digital world. But, the important concerns that parents have are:
- Strangers reaching out to their kids online
- Kids getting distracted during homework time or sleep time
The key features of Roo Kids that bring in safety are:
- Parents get to approve before anyone is added to their kid’s Contact list. Thus no stranger or unwanted person can sneak in
- Kids can block any existing friend with immediate effect
- Parents can set curfew time slots during which the live chat will not work
Roo Kids is for the iPad generation. This iPad generation is ready for messaging app like Roo Kids. We also believe that it is good for kids to experience a restricted app such as Roo Kids before moving into social networking sites, which provide less safety.
Features that make us cool.
- Parent creates the kid’s account and gets to choose the kid’s username
- No ‘Add Contact’ request reaches a kid unless approved by a parent
- Parents can set ‘Curfew Time’ during which the live chat will not work
- User Interface designed to appeal to kids
- Kids can report abusive content and users with immediate results
- All information (username, password, messages, etc.) are transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology
- We do not display ads or sell / trade your personally identifiable information
Yes, your kid will love it! Check more info at Roo Kids site.
Animated movies have become one of the best pastimes for the entire family.
Here is a list of the top 10 movies you should not miss:
1. Ice Age series: The Ice Age movies have become a pioneer among the animated series with 4 movies, all massive hit.
2. Ratatouille: The story of a mouse and a chef, a lovely heartwarming tale of friendship and many more.
3. How To Train Your Dragon: It reestablishes the fact that even the most ferocious looking animal can be tamed by showing love.
4. Brave: A brave little movie which celebrates the importance of family bonds.
5. Tangled: A lovely adaptation from Rapunzel that is sure to make your heart melt.
6. Up: Determination is everything. This exceptional animated movie is a must watch.
7. Wall E: The adorable robot love story will make you fall in love all over again.
8. Finding Nemo: Essentially a story of the bond between a father and his son, this is one exceptional story.
9. Monsters, Inc: Monsters are not always scary and the power of love is far greater than that of fear. This movie strongly establishes the fact.
10. The Lion King: The Disney movie is one of the most loved of all time.
Having a collection of some of the best comedy movies for kids is always of great help. Be it the holidays or a party, having some movie time for kids is the best way to keep them occupied and entertained, and what best other than the comedy movies.
He re is a list of top 10 funny movies for kids:
1. Night At The Museum: Hilarious yet captivating tale of a night guard at a museum who finds that history do come alive, literally.
2. The Game Plan: When an “unknown” daughter of a famous rugby player turns up on his doorstep, his world changes forever.
3. The Princess Diaries: A sweet tale of a teenager who is burdened with responsibilities.
4. Ice Age Series: This is probably one of the longest successfully running series of animated movies. A must watch for everyone.
5. Kung Fu Panda: Can a fat and out of shape Panda actually be a Kung Fu master? Time to find out.
6. Dr. Doolittle: He can talk to animals.
7. Madagaskar Series: Wild and their wilderness, a laugh riot.
8. Baby’s Day Out: This movie will never grow old.
9. Despicable Me: When a criminal mastermind uses a trio of orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, he finds their love is profoundly changing him for the better.
10. OZ The Great And Powerful: A small-time magician is swept away to the enchanted land of Oz and is forced into a power struggle between three witches.
Kids have always been fascinated by animals. Here is a list of the best movies for your little ones which is bound to give them a fantastic experience:
1. Cats & Dogs (2001): The age old war between cats and dogs is taken to the next level when a cat decides to take over the world.
2. Air Bud (1997): A golden retriever who can play fantastic basketball. A must watch.
3. Homeward Bound (1993): A bull dog, a golden retriever and a cat decides to go on a journey to find the family who abandoned them on a vacation.
4. Marley & Me (2008): A heartwarming tale of a dog and a young guy that can melt even the hardest heart.
5. My Dog Skip (2000): The story of the relationship of a young boy and his dog. A lovely tale for kids.
6. Because of Winn-Dixie (2005): After a little girl is abandoned by her mother she moves in with her father, along with a lovely dog.
7. Babe (1995): A pig whose wish is to be a sheepdog is one of the most beloved children’s movies.
8. Beethoven (1992): The funny yet sentimental story of a man’s bonding with his pet.
9. King Kong (2005): Based on the 1933 movie by the same name, this sci-fi movie is a definite treat for kids.
10. Hachi: A Dog’s Tale: Based on a true story, this is a heartwarming movie and a must watch.
Ocean adventure movies have captured the fancy of many. A large number of breathtaking high adrenaline movies have been made over the years.
Here is a list of the top 5 ocean adventure movies which you are sure to love:
1. The Pirates of the Caribbean series: The Pirates of the Caribbean would never have been as it is without the presence of Captain Jack Sparrow, the notorious yet highly entertaining pirate.
2. Jaws series: What happens when you give the deadliest creature to roam the ocean the intelligence of a human? Tune in to the Jaws series to know more.
3. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World: The tale of a British warship in the time of Napoleonic war is one of the most gripping story of a ship ever told onscreen.
4. Open Water: When a diving boat by mistake leaves two divers in the ocean, it is a question of life and death and constant battle between man and the creatures of the ocean.
5. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea: An adaptation of the original story by Jules Verne, the movie is a classic and creates a league of its own.