All parents want a safe and fun way to message or talk to their kids when they’re not together. The market is flooded with messaging apps. However, most of these apps are unsafe for kids to use with potentially dangerous ramifications.
These are the reasons why your child should use only kid-friendly and safe messaging apps-
1. Most messaging apps are not safe- Most messaging apps on the various app stores are meant for kids over the age of 13 and are very dangerous for underage kids to use. Most parents either don’t realize this or don’t realize the danger that their kids are exposed to. Some of these apps allow users to use them anonymously, which attracts predators and other malicious elements to these apps. We have outlined some of the most dangerous apps and their consequences in a previous article. Then there are apps like SnapChat, which have become popular among children because kids think that their pictures and messages are deleted after a certain period of time. This makes them indulge in risky behavior which leads to more cases of blackmail and bullying because the kids don’t realize that their photos and messages can be saved and shared.
2. The law- Most countries have a law like the United States’ COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) which offers parents some rights regarding their children. Apps which come under laws like COPPA are fined heavily if they do not comply with the rules. However, apps and websites meant for the age of 13 and over are not required to do so. Here are some of the rights laws like COPPA guarantee you as a parent:
- Permission as a parent to have all information related to your child be deleted permanently.
- Prevention of your child’s information being sold to third parties.
- Preventing your child from purchasing items online without parental consent.
- Requirements of the service provider to protect your child’s information and train employees/vendors to do the same.
- Right as a parent to view all of your child’s digital footprint online.
The moment your child signs up for a 13+ app or website, you lose all of these protections.
WHY YOU SHOULD USE ROO KIDS CHAT APP
Keeping in mind the spike in identity theft, online bullying and other forms of cyber-crime, it is simply not worth it to expose your child to that kind of risk. Roo Kids Chat App is COPPA compliant. We do not sell or share your information with any third parties. We do not host any advertisements. We do not try to find out your geo-location. We don’t even store your chat history on a server. We could make a lot of money by not complying with laws like COPPA, but we can’t in good conscience expose our users to risk. It’s not worth it. It’s time that parents begin to recognize that too.
Roo Kids Chat App is a kid-friendly instant messenger with minimum but critical parental controls.
Follow us on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.